
I have been making preemie hats for a hospital in Georgia. I have 12 done and 2 are knitted. The first (solid red) I did in a basic rectangle then decreased to a point, seamed it together and then tied the tapered end into a top knot. I made this pattern up, and for the life of me can not think why I did not keep track of what I was doing so that I can make more, maybe I will make another and then this time write it out. The I made another knitted hat and this is my biggest accomplishment, not only did I make it up, but I also knitted it in the round using 2 circular knitting needles (have no double points to work with) I watched a video on Knitting Help.com and it was not hard at all.


NOW I am going to pick up my Black Cherry project which is shrug/shawl for myself, that is over halfway done and it is getting chilly enough that I could really use it now.....
Jack has an appointment tomorrow afternoon for a job, so we shall see how that goes.
I was going to open an Etsy shop, in fact I have it all set to go, BUT forgot it takes 20 cents per listing, SO I will have to wait to list all the items from the sale that did not sell......Pretty bad when you don't have the money to make some money....LOL :)
It is way past the munchkins bedtime, so I need to get them settled and will also get myself settled for the night and work on Black Cherry.....
Hope you all had a wonderful Tuesday.....................
I forgot to mention....if anyone is interested I found out today that Toys For Tots accepts handmade items....when they first started in 1947 that is what they gave away and still do. SO can you guess what I want to do??? I want to take the animals I made and donate them to TOYS FOR TOTS in my area. I pray that no child has to go without at least one present under their Christmas tree on Christmas morning....my kids will not get much, but they will have LOVE under the tree in the handmade items I am making them......If you are interested in finding out how you can help go to WWW.TOYSFORTOTS.ORG and put in your state and it will give you contacts in your area.....
6 comments:
Wendy... awesome job on the hats. See knitting is not so hard after all is it? Those preemie hats are so cute.
Christmas is all about the giving and you sure have the Christmas spirit all year round. I hope this year you find you and your family blessed over the holidays.
Sending good thoughts for Jacks job interview etc.
Your hats are terrific I love all of them and know that they will adorn the head of some sweet little ones.
Your little hats are darling!
I saw your comment at Count It All Joy about not having dpns. When I first began knitting, I wanted so badly to learn to use them, but didn't have any, and no access to any locally. Wal-Mart didn't carry them and I really didn't have the money to order any.
I found a tutorial, which was a video if I remember right, at KnittingHelp. It took a little elbow grease, but really, they were not difficult to make at all. You just take your needle gauge down to Home Depot, or even the Wal-Mart craft dept and buy some dowel rods in the size you need. Take them home and cut them in 4 pieces. Use a pocket knife to whittle each end, then sand them. Amy's tutorial tells which kind of sandpaper is best use, but I think it was a medium grit and a fine grit. I've also used steel wool in place of the fine grit.
As I said, it does take some elbow grease, but it is doable, and a great way to get your needles for very little money. My first dpns were a size 7 that I made, and though I now also have some storebought ones, my homemade ones are my favorites!
PS-Today was my first visit to your blog, so I had not read your previous posts when I commented about the needles. I have now, and see that your family is in dire straits at the moment, and making your own dpn's is likely the least of your cares. I wanted to clarify so I didn't come off as seeming insensitive. I'm really sorry for the situation you and your children are in. I will pray for you.
Beautiful Hats Wendy!! I love that shade of red, it is so vibrant. I hope this comment finds you doing better and I want you to know that I have you in my thoughts and prayers.
I sent another envelope with soup labels out today.
*HUGS*
Sorry I haven't visited in a while...been feelng yucky. I hope everything is looking up for you all now. I will say a prayer for you.
Your hats are too cute as always. I didn't know Toys For Tots took handmade items...that's awesome. Any child would love to have the cute toys you've made.
Hang in there! Keep your chin up...things will be better I'm sure.
Hugs!
Post a Comment