Whatever you do, work at ig with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men ~ Col. 3:23

Friday, March 28, 2008

Some updates

First some of my latest projects (and there has not been much time for them in the last couple of days) the first is the crochet version of the Japanese Tawashi, Spiral Scrubbie translated by Judith Prindle that can be found here . I really like it, but I think that my next one I will chain more to make it bigger....

Second an afghan I joined using squares from my friend in Indiana...I was suppose to make some of my own and make a big afghan out of them, but I have been so behind on the afghans, that I decided to just join hers and it can be either a lapghan or a child size afghan....



BEFORE

AFTER


Now for the contest, I will probably pick 2 winners by a random number picker...I figure if I get 10 or more guesses then I want to have even more fun with it....Now for any that may not be crafty, I will pick something non crafty if you wish....otherwise it will probably be something crafty for the prize. I have some ideas but I decided I am not telling you all what the prize will be, I will let you know when I pick the winner.....Going to keep you in suspense...

Now for the news that is hard for a momma to hear....Brooke had her eye appointment today...It went well, she was such a big girl, a little nervous at first but brave and a real trooper...So she did the exam that they give a child of 4....she then had to have her eyes dilated, and we had to wait for that... We finally get to see the doctor and she does her little tests and she turns and tells us the results....Yes Brooke is having problems and it is not just her age and being uncooperative.. She is basically blind in her left eye...But since she is only 4, there is a chance that we can trick the brain and correct the problem, If she was 6 or older the doctor said that she would have had to look at the parents and tell them "sorry" that there is nothing that can be done...But since she is young maybe we can fix the problem, she will be getting glasses and in 4 weeks she will go back and see if there is a change, if not then we will try a patch on her right eye....the patch will be the final attempt at correcting the problem...if the glasses or the patch does not work, then she will be turning to us and telling us "sorry" The doctor seems to think that it is probably hereditary, since Jack has had to have glasses since he was 2....It is not a Lazy eye, because they could correct that with surgery as a last resort....It is that her eye is 20/80 and her brain has decided that it will use the right eye, which is not perfect either, but is correctable...so now we just need to make the brain realize that she CAN see out of the left eye and to not put all the work on the right...Brooke wanted to walk out with her glasses, but it will be next week before she gets them...she will have to wear them all day every day, and if we notice that they are making her sick, because they are going to be so strong, then we are to go back right away, for them to decrease the strength, but she wants to go full force right now, so that it has a better chance of correcting....SO all my dear readers I am asking for lots of prayers for my little girl......Please pray that it all works out and the problem can be fixed......

I feel so ashamed that I did not insist on something being checked or done sooner, like when I noticed in infancy that she had a turned eye...but I would let the doctors tell me it was nothing...I should have said something when I noticed the squinting and turning of the head.....I should have listened to my motherly instincts.....

William will be getting his eyes checked next week....since there is a good chance he could have the same problem, but not as bad yet, and we can definitely correct it at this young age of 2.....So I also ask for prayers for him to not have the same problem and if so that it will not be as bad....

I know it is not something that they can not get through...especially with our help and encouragement....but it is something that is so hard as a mother to hear....that her babies have a problem and it may not be correctable....

When Brooke gets her glasses I will get a picture of how cute she looks in them, she did a fine job at picking them out all by herself (of course she only had 2 pairs to choose from)

I hope everyone is finding a blessing in something in their life..........

11 comments:

Scarlet said...

Hi Wendy,

Sending my love and prayers your way. I do want to tell you that my husband had the same trouble when he was younger and they tried hard to fix it but it had went too long without being noticed for them to correct it. He has been blind in his left eye his entire life and and has had a normal life. He loves to read and is computer engineer and drives and everything. We do have to sit on the left side of the theater if we go to see a movie, but other than that he has not been hindered by it.

I hope that Brooke's can be corrected but if not please know that there is still hope that she will have a normal life, she just may have to wear glasses. My husband does and he looks pretty darn good if I do say so myself. :)

*HUGS and LOVE*
Scarlet

pinkangel said...

Hey sweetie, I am so glad that you got her in when you did. And don't blame yourself for anything. I am so proud of Brooke for being such a BIG girl in getting her exam. I will definitely be praying for both Brooke and William. And you know God hears them.

Lots of hugs......just grab them!

Anonymous said...

Wendy, I have the same problem just opposite eyes and its never bothered me. I was taken to a doc at early age, wore eye patches, glasses all my life. it wasn't until I was about 40 years old that an eye doc told me that my brain was shutting out the image in my crossed eye so that I wouldn't see 2 of everything and that if my vision was lost in my good eye, then my blind eye would
staighten up and I would have some vision in it.

Aunt Kathy said...

Wendy {{{HUGS}}} you are a wonderful momma, and don't let the devil tell you different. Remember God has a plan for everything and a reason, He is and will always be in charge and will never let anything happen to you or your kids that he won't use for good.

Lil Knitter said...

Big hugs to you and that little sweetie. Don't you dare blame yourself...you're an awesome Mom and you've everything you should have done...we always think the Dr.s know best but they are only human too. Hopefully, you've caught it in time to fix it. I'll be saying little prayers for you...that's the best medicine anyway, right?
Give her a big hug for me.
Hugs!

Katie O said...

Well, let me ask you something... Do you think I'm doing ok in life?? My right eye is 20/80!!! I think I'm pretty successful!!! (sorry, not to brag and be arrogant) I got glasses at the age of four and once I realized how much i could see, I wore them all the time. She is gonna be great!!! You are a good mom!! It's not your fault!! She isn't going to blame you later!! I don't blame my mom!! You are a great person! Stop beating yourself up, and you'll start to feel better!! Sending you hugs!!!

MAry said...

Hey Wendy,
My youngest daughter struggled with her sight from an early age. She had to have her glasses changed every 6 months for abotu 4 years, that is how fast they were deteriorating. When she got contacts at about age 14 they slowed down some. She is 29 now and they have not changed in 8 years. With out her glasses she sees very little but she learned to adapt. I beleived a Dr too that her eyes were fine but in my heart i knew they weren't. Finally a teacher convinced me to see an Opthamologist. He told us by the time she was 18 she would be legally blind. Well she isn't,she is close without glasses but with them she can see very well. Alot of prayer went into her eyes and I believe it helped. She graduated with honors from both high school and college. So even though it is hard to hear, Brooke will be ok and if William faces the same, well you will become an expert on their problem. Who knows maybe God's reason for this is so you can reach out someone else who has a child with the same problem. Or if they suspect a problem you can encourage them to get their child in to a Dr. He never gives you more than you can handle. So hang in there. My grandson is having some testing done at U of M hospital this week for a medical problem. Keep him in your prayers if you will. Thanks Mary in Gaylord

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
God Is Watching Over Your Babies... Brooke is a very big girl and she will wear her glasses proudly just like her daddy. Don't loose "Hope" even if this does not correct itself, technology and science is forever changing. With All Our Prayers and Your Faith... God Is With You and Yours. Don and I will say extra prayers for Brooke and William. Remember he has a plan for us all even if we don't know what it is. God Bless, Protect and Keep You All Safe!
Love, Don & Barbara

Unknown said...

Wendy, sending you and your little ones my prayers.

My youngest daughter was actually born with a cataract which wasn't discovered until till she was three. She had to have surgery to remove the lens. She handled it wonderfully and recoverd great. She's since had 4 surgeries and has always had to wear glasses. She's blind in that eye and doesn't have 20/20 in the other eye.

My daughter is trooper and has never let her sight stop her from doing anything! She played soccer in school, drives her own car, is very active in her social, and joy to all...

Forge ahead. Don't let obstacles stop you or her, just work around them. I'm sure your daughter will do wonderfully. Don't forget, children are much more resilant than we give them credit for...

love the round scrubbie!!!

And take thngs one day at time :O)

elizabeth said...

First...love the scrubbie! :)

Second - don't be so hard on yourself on your daughter. I think there must be some kind of guilt gene that comes out as soon as we give birth and we fight it our whole lives. You love her and are doing the best for her and it's in God's hands now. And it does sound like they got it in time and that she's excited about wearing glasses (driving mama crazy!), so it will all work for good.

You are doing fine. :)

thesuzvk said...

Brooke and William are blessed to have a loving, caring mamma who does everything in her power to keep them safe, healthy, and hapoy. What more is there?

Prayers for your family always.

Love,

Suz