Today was a very nice day. It was not too hot and definitely not cold. We went to my Uncles land where we had a cookout for all his brothers and sisters and their families. There is 7 of them and only one group was not there.
The kids had a great time, playing with 3rd cousins that they only see once in a blue moon. I think the last time we were all together was when William was only 5 months old.They got to ride in the wagon while my uncle drove the lawn tractor (grandma rode with them)
they took a walk down the trails, played with the horseshoes,

and William had a field day with all the rocks. He didn't know
where to start to pick up, there was just so many.
We had lots of good food, and did not leave hungry.
I got a picture of their little one room cabin, along with the bathroom facilities (outhouse)

They use this land mainly for hunting season (deer) and during the summer months they stay the night every so often. There is no electric or water, but I can remember the days at our place in the upper part of the lower part of Michigan (not the U.P.) we started out with not much bigger of a place, no electric, hand pump for water and outhouse. The it gradually got bigger, we got electric, then running water and finally a bathroom. It was terrible to be up there, and have to go potty at night. All the weird nature sounds and total darkness because even the stars could night shine through the cover of the trees. When we finally got electricity, my dad put a light in the outhouse and one on the outside of the cabin, so that made it a little better to go potty. Most of the time though it was hold it and wait till morning. Those were the days. And it saddens me that my kids will probably never experience that. Then again, I will, one of these years take them camping.. I don't mean at a camp ground with electric hook up and real bathrooms. I mean just like when I was young. We use to go camping in the Upper Peninsula, in tents. It helps you appreciate what you have.


I did manage to do a little crocheting, That was when William had fallen asleep, So I had to stay with him, just in case he woke up. He did end up waking up before he was ready, that was when my cousin decided it was time for him to leave and he started up his motorcycle. If I hadn't been right next to him he would have woke up screaming.
All that fresh air and walking has tired me out. I believe I am going to go soak in the tub and go nite nite myself.
1 comment:
Wendy sounds like you had a great time, I bet you are tired.
We have a family reunion this year too. I wasn;t sure if we were gonna go but we might, your's looked like alot of fun.
Post a Comment