Whatever you do, work at ig with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men ~ Col. 3:23

Monday, July 9, 2007

Bargain Shopping

Well here I thought I was bargain shopping and trying to feed my family for less. I shopped at a local discount grocery store Sav-a-lot, I don't really like their meat, but I have to cut corners somewhere. So I bought a 5 pound roll of Hamburger (fatty pure hamburger) I got it for $8.64, thought that was a pretty good price. NOT........ Went to Wal Mart today, decided to take a look at their meat, was very upset with myself, when what did I see, A 5 pound roll of Ground Chuck for 20 cents more than I bought the fatty hamburger for. I looked at the price of their hamburger, and it was $7.29. When I do my shopping, I usually do it all in one store, to save gas, well I think that the added 2 miles will not eat up that much gas, when I can get a better bargain on meat. I keep saying I am going to become a vegetarian, because the price of meat is outrageous. Chicken use to be cheap, ha not anymore. Pork is ridiculous, unless you are lucky enough to catch a good deal on a whole tenderloin, and then slice it yourself (which I usually do)


I have found that ground beef is my biggest bargain, I can fix it in so many different ways, that it is not like eating the same thing. Meatloaf, spaghetti (which is what is for dinner today) Hamburger gravy over rice, Hamburgers on buns, etc.


I talked to Christy, from the DVS, today. We will be meeting next Monday. I will have the afghan done and maybe another. I received another very generous donation of grannies today from Wyoming. I bought a pound of Red Heart Black and it is perfect, because I hadn't even looked at the squares yet and almost all of them are done in black in the 4th round.

I finally finished the afghan



Lets see what has happened since I started this earlier today. Oh ya, Brooke got stung in the forehead by a Wasp. Boy did she SCREAM. Trying to find out what happened was not easy, but finally got out of her a fly bite her. (She calls all bugs flies) She was just finally getting over her fear of bugs, That is out the door now. I had to call the drug store to find out how much Benadryl I could give her. I had given her 1/4 tsp and I can give her 1/2 tsp, so I gave her more, and she is getting nice and sleepy now. (Thank God).. she has driven me crazy since, she has told me the fly has gotten her hand, then she told me it was in her belly, I think she is just freaking out with the whole experience. (especially since daddy made such a big deal out of it, he is a big BABY)

As soon as the little "monsters" go to sleep, I am going to dig out my cotton and work on a few cloths, I need to build them up, so I have them for the shelter and other needs. Plus sooner or later I will have to work on some more squares, and Barbara's afghan. Boy do I love to be busy...especially when it involves "giving".

William is "out for the count" he was just fussing at me and the next thing I know he fell asleep at my feet. Boy he didn't even give me time. I guess he was tired (DUH) maybe my clue should have been the whining.

It is 79 degrees in here and the window unit is set at 66. Boy oh Boy it is not going to be a comfortable night. Should have packed up the kids and stayed at my parents. Even if they didn't have air, the basement is always cool (and quite cold in the winter)

Hope everyone had a great day......I'll be back tomorrow..........

5 comments:

SimplyMe said...

Wendy - What a day, I'd say. Wow. Hope the wasp thing doens't haunt her for a long time. I just read that putting your sheets in the freezer for 10 min helps, but who knows? I figure all would be lost by how hot I'd be getting them back ON the bed. Do you have an Aldi's nearby? When we were broke, that store did it for me. Sometimes you can find a good deal on chicken thighs/drumsticks. After being boiled and deboned they can be served about a zillion ways as well. We did a lot of variations of beans and rice. (pinto and spanish rice, red beans spiced up over white rice, etc) I often lived on refried beans (smashed up pintos) and spanish rice in a tortilla. Anything to keep the belly full.

I love the afghan. It turned out beautifully. I'm never going to get any crafting done if I don't get off this crazy computer!!

Sweet dreams and cool breezes!
Shelly

thesuzvk said...

The afghan is gorgeous!!! Reminds me of afghans my grandma made for us. (Must be why they call it "granny afghan").

We used to cook a lot of Polish sausage (which I think is gross!) because it was cheap. Sometimes we'd cut it up and scramble it with eggs to stretch it. DH and the kids loved it. I kept my mouth shut!

Eggs are a good, fairly inexpensive way to get protein. My family loves egg salad! In fact, Kat wants me to make some for her later today.

Have a great day!!

pinkangel said...

Hey dear, I used to live on fried potates with onions and fried eggs and sometimes we bought bacon. And ya know I still love that combination. I know it is a lot of fat but when you are cutting big corners it works
Hugs

pinkangel said...

Oops forgot again......duh!! I love the way you granny ghan turned out. And yes it does look like the kind my ex's granny used to make. Someone will cherish it.
Hugs from me to you

Wendy said...

Yes eggs are a good thing, and the best part is I get them free with WIC. I get peanut butter, cheese, juice, cereal and dry beans, so we eat a lot of that stuff, also.
I buy rice in 10 ound bags, and we all love it, so that is a good thing too.