Whatever you do, work at ig with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not men ~ Col. 3:23

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kids Afghans

SO I finally have 650 cotton granny squares. Now in the picture is does not look like much, but it fills a zippered king size comforter bag. NOW to decide how I want to join them together. I tried several methods last night to see, and I really like the Reverse Single Crochet, it looks so nice and different. Then I also checked out the join as you go Granny Method and really like that, but that would add so much more to the afghan and take more yarn (I think the partial 3 pound cones I have pictured would do them, but not sure) I could always do that join and put less squares in, BUT then I would have extra squares. Maybe I could take those extra squares and make them 2 smaller afghans for watching TV or in the car. At the moment I am going to be using 13 X 25 squares. How many do you think I should use if I do the JAYG granny method? I do not want to just sew the squares together, I want the joining yarn to show and to pull the squares together. SO PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEED BACK...............





I am going to go back to my corner and hide out some more....Do you think that if you ignore something that it will just go away and everything will be peachy keen again? Of course nothing in my life has been peachy keen in a very very long time..........Should be packing, November 1st is just a little over 2 weeks away.......Keep wondering if we sell off all of our possessions would it buy us anytime. We can sit on the floor, we can put the mattress on the floor, the TV can sit on the floor with us.....the clothes can sit in piles.....

Almost forgot to mention, I would like to thank all these wonderful ladies who helped me meet my goal of 650 squares. Linda B., Donna H., Katie O., Linda K., Susan V., Sandie P., Scarlet S., Marie W.,Holly W., & Michelle W., .........Thank you so very very much. Between all of you wonderful ladies I received 415 squares.........And I did the rest and will now join them.......Will be sure to post pictures when they are done and hopefully the kids do not catch on that they are theirs for Christmas.............Big Hugs.......

3 comments:

Sandie said...

I love the join as you go method, esp. the continuous join which leaves fewer tails, but I don't know if it would make a sturdy enough join for children, who tend to be rough with things. You'd have to decide that. It does use more yarn but the single color could bring it all together. I have never seen the reverse sc used in a join before. I have only used it as a border myself, which is not to say it can't be done of course. A sc join would be sturdy as would a whipstitch. The sc join tends to tighten things up so the piece will look smaller than the size of the squares would indicate. The jayg would, as you say, make it larger. So there are pros and cons to all... and I haven't even covered some other joins. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy! Hugs to you and the babies! I kind of like the join as you go method, but I'm not a fan of tucking tails. I'd use a solid neutral color to join, since the squares are so multicolored and pretty. Looks like you're using ww cotton??? If you need a neutral color, email me privately and I can get some to you. :) Love and hugs from San Antonio.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

Having joined lots of squares into blankets, I would say take four squares, and try out each of the various methods first on these, four squares at a time.

If you use my "continuous join method" (as found on Crochet Cabana, thanks to Sandie) of laying the squares out first, no matter what crochet stitch you use to join them, it will take less yarn and you have only your beginning tail and ending tail to sew in when you are finished.

I would use the "reverse single crochet" or crab stitch just around the outside as the last row if you like that look. Or maybe just on your daughter's blanket if it looks a little feminine.

To actually join the squares, if you want the finished piece larger than the sum of its parts, you could do "one sc in the first square, chain 2 or 3, then a sc in the second square" method. It takes less yarn than an entire granny square row join would.

I've used the flat braid and really like it. http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm

She says to "drop yarn, insert hook from top" but you don't have to do that, just keep the working loop on your hook all the time, and put the hook in from the back instead.

If you don't want the blanket larger than the total squares side by side, then a sc or sewing it with a needle would accomplish that.

Can't wait to see what you decide.

Hugs, Susan