Boy what a day. It was going pretty good until about 4:30 p.m. The power went out.....
It looked like it was going to storm and you could hear thunder off in the distance, But guess what, we only got a few drops of rain. The power was out in quite a big area, must have hit the substation. It was so humid, and being upstairs with no breeze made it even worse. I hadn't even got to start dinner (I hate electric stoves, at least on a gas I could have lit the burner with a match and cooked) but it was also nice to not be able to cook, because we got to go out to eat, and the best part it was my sisters treat, (she had no power either) We went to a local Coney Island. Brooke was in her glory, because she just loves hot dogs and french fries oh and of course ketchup to dip. Jack had a double decker burger and I had fried chicken, which I shared with William, sis had coney's and Rachel had chicken strips. We didn't get our power back on until 10 p.m. I was getting ready to go to my parents to stay the night, at least the basement would have been cool.
I am so very upset that the preemie hats I made and sent, can not be used, they are too small and they prefer knit because they are stretchier. It would have been so nice to know this before I made and sent them, I would have let Brooke keep them for her babies, I was told they would go somewhere else to be used with burial gowns. My other items I shipped were also received, so glad they can be used.
It was so humid and with no power, I didn't get a lot of crocheting done. But I plan on making up for it in just a bit. Finally got the kids to sleep. Poor things couldn't understand the whole "No power" thing. William kept giving his dad the remote to turn on the T.V., and Brooke couldn't understand why she couldn't wash her hands in the sink, or stand in front of the fridge while she decided what exactly she wanted to drink.
I remember in 2003, August I do believe, when we were without power for 6 days, due to the whole east coast grid problem. My parents did have power, so being I was pregnant with Brooke, I ended up, after 2 days, staying with them. I did at least have a gas stove, and did not live in an upstairs apartment. We had city water, BUT, that didn't matter, because all the water plants were out of power also.
I was just thinking that in a month from today, in 2004 is when Jack's dad passed away. He was staying with us through hospice, That was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, let someone come home with me to die. Especially with a 5 1/2 month old baby. We got along but, butted heads a lot, we both told things the way they were, but I did care deeply for him, it hit me so hard. Jack told me later that he gained a whole new respect for me when I told him to let his dad come home with us. Because no one else stepped up, his daughter couldn't be bothered and his stepson only had anything to do with him, when he wanted something. His stepdaughter did come from Tennessee and stayed the whole time. You see Jacks dad didn't want to die in a nursing home or hospital and he sure could not go home alone. He arrived on Thursday, went comatose on Monday, and was gone at 9:07p.m. on Wednesday, the 18th, The day before Jacks birthday. I thank God that he went before the 19th and not on that day, Jack would never want to celebrate his birthday ever again, not even for his kids. The only picture I have of him and Brooke was taken on the Saturday before he passed. I know it is so hard on Jack, he lost his mom in 1997 (I never met her) and then his dad. So his kids will only know them by what we tell them. Even though he came home with Hospice, they only showed up one day, the day after he went comatose, the day before he died.
So we had no support, or help. They sure did send us stuff about counseling for a year after, But we never went. We figured they was not there for us when we really needed them.
I guess if I am ever going to get any crocheting done, I had better post this and get busy.
Til next time..................
1 comment:
Wendy, don't feel badly about the preemie hats. They are still going to be used for a great cause. In one of my groups, we were told that there is a great need for burial outfits. It helps the parents so much. So many of the babies are so tiny and the parents have only seen them hooked up to tubes, etc. The blankets and outfits help to make the babies look more human (I know that sounds awful, but that's the truth) and comforts the parents to have something to bury their babies in.
I could never, ever make the burial outfits because I would be so depressed, but there is a big need out there. You have done a lot more good than you know with these hats!
Love,
Suz
Post a Comment